Your basket is currently empty!
Rocket MkII – 15ft Inboard Gentleman’s Racer
£7.50 – £200.00
Rocket MkII is a modernised boat building plan based on the original design of Rocket by William Jackson. The design is for an inboard engine 15ft stepped hull Gentleman’s race boat with a two seater cockpit aft. This is the same design as the boat Miss Isle that I finished building in 2020.
New plan revision! Now including full size .pdf pattern files for printing and manual cutting as well as .dxf and .step files for CNC cutting. Files are downloadable at the checkout.
Rocket MkII is a modernised boat building plan based on the original design of Rocket by William Jackson. The design is for an inboard engine 15ft stepped hull Gentleman’s race boat with a two seater cockpit aft.
Rocket MkII has some differences to the original design. I have made several small corrections to the measurements of frame heights and widths, but other than that the hull below the waterline is as per the original. The major change that I have made to Rocket is the modified profile of the deck. The original transom had a very high centreline and quite a drastic curve to the aft deck. I have reduced this to have a more subtle curve and reshaped all of the deck frames to true up the deck accordingly. I have also added a curved coaming to nicely finish the cockpit and complement the deck lines. If building the boat yourself this option can be fitted or the cockpit can be of a more open, square design like the original if desired. Altering the cockpit shape does not require any major structural work and so can be decided upon further down the build process. In the plan sets I have added several additional parts that aren’t mentioned in the original plans. Frames 2a and 4a have been added to support the deck at each ends of the engine hatch opening. I have also added detail of the hatch ends and middle frames to accommodate fitting of the engine.
This boat is available to purchase as a digital download boat building plan, all files are downloadable directly at the checkout.
Boat Building Plan Set
The boat building plan set is for a plywood skinned version of Rocket MkII. It contains an illustrated PDF document showing assembly of the parts and a 3D STEP model for referencing the general assembly and location of all components. DXF files for all components are pre nested into sized bounding boxes ready for importing to CAD software for CNC cutting. PDF versions are also provided so that full size paper patterns can be printed for manual cutting. Files are supplied in digital format only and are available to download directly at the checkout.
This plan set is licensed for single personal use only. Not for resale or commercial production, please contact me if you would like more information regarding commercial licensing.
Boat Plan, Cable Driven Rudder Plan, Tiller Driven Rudder Plan, Shaft Strut Plan
- Length – 15ft
- Beam – 5ft 6in
- Power – up to 100hp inboard
- Weight – 350kgs (boat only)
- Seats – 2
- Designer – William Jackson
- Frames and dash – 4 Qty; 600-610 x 2440 x 18mm solid wood panels or 2 Qty; 1220 x 2440 x 18mm marine ply
- Keel aft – 1 Qty; 100 x 28 x 2500mm fin solid wood
- Keel filler block – 1 Qty; 100 x 55 x 500mm fin approx
- Keel fwd – 1 Qty; 100 x 28 x 2000mm fin solid wood (or laminations to equivalent thickness)
- Engine bearers – 1 Qty; 100 x 50 x 3200mm fin solid wood
- Chines, gunwales and central deck batten – 5 Qty; 50 x 18 x 4800mm fin solid wood
- Battens, bottom, side and deck – 10 Qty; 32 x 18 x 4800mm fin solid wood
- Stem core – 1 Qty; 25 x 150 x 1500mm fin solid wood
- Cockpit coaming (moulded) – 1 Qty; 30 x 200 x 2500mm laminations to equivalent thickness
- Hull sides and deck – 7 Qty; 2440 x 1220 x 6mm marine ply
- Hull bottom, gussets, transom and stem sides – 4 Qty; 2440 x 1220 x 9mm marine ply
- Forms – 2 Qty; 2440 x 1220 x 18mm MDF or similar
- Frame construction board – 1 Qty; 2440 x 1220 x 18mm melamine faced MDF (for CNC) or 2440 x 1220 x 18mm MDF (for dimensioned lofting)
- Strongback – 2 Qty; 150 x 50 x 4800mm fin solid wood, steel or aluminium box and 3 Qty; 150 x 50 x 450mm fin solid wood, steel or aluminium box