Your basket is currently empty!
Epifanes Rapidclear Semi Gloss Fast Drying Varnish
A fast build clear single part varnish. Quickly apply coats without the need for sanding in between. Supplied in a pack size of 750ml.
Epifanes Rapidclear Semi Gloss Fast Drying Varnish provides a high-quality solution for protecting and enhancing the natural beauty of your wood surfaces. This varnish is designed to deliver a semi-gloss finish that serves as a quick building base under the Epifanes single part topcoat products.
With its rapid-clear semi-gloss finish, this product offers a versatile solution for a variety of wood surfaces. Whether you’re working on furniture, cabinetry, or even marine applications, this varnish provides exceptional protection against the elements while bringing out the natural beauty of the wood. Multiple coats can be built without the need for sanding in between, allowing you to fill wood grain and build a volume on the surface of the wood quickly.
Epifanes Rapidclear varnish should be topped off with a gloss or satin topcoat such the Epifanes traditional gloss varnish.
Typical applications for this product are;
- Bright finished solid wood and plywood above the waterline
- Working, flexing or unstable wood surfaces such as clinker and carvel constructions
- Also suitable for stable wood surfaces such as cold moulded and plywood boats
- Great for masts, spars and oars
- Application is recommended with a good quality brush or foam roller
On bare wood, thin the first coat of Epifanes Rapidclear varnish 50% with an Epifanes brush thinner. Thin the second and third coats 25% and build with full thickness from there onwards. Sand bare wood to 180g and intermediate coats to 320g. How many coats of varnish should I apply? Below are some approximate guides on coat quantities.
- Minimum of 4-6 coats on small wooden items for short term exposure outdoors – re coating as necessary
- 12-15 coats for topsides and decks with moderate UV exposure levels – re coating every two years
- 15+ coats for topsides and decks with extended UV exposure levels – re coating annually
To speed up the process of application, there are other products that can be used in conjunction with the traditional gloss varnish throughout the build up stages. These are listed below;
- Epifanes PP is a two part alternative. This can be used as a quick, high build base to speed up the build up time. 3 coats a day can be applied. Replace the first recommended coats above with PP and apply the final 3 coats with traditional gloss Epifanes varnish.
Want to Learn More?
My online course 10 Day Yacht Varnisher teaches the complete method for applying high gloss varnish finishes to a professional standard. I teach the entire process from sand paper through to final application online in over 40 video tutorial lessons. For more information take a look at my online courses. All enrolled students also benefit from an additional 10% discount on all store products.