Your basket is currently empty!
Epifanes Varnish Clear Gloss with Extra UV Filter
£12.26 – £163.77
Epifanes varnish is a single component clear gloss varnish with extra UV filter. Perhaps the most versatile and user friendly traditional Yacht varnish. Excellent gloss levels and retention with unbeatable flow out.
Epifanes varnish is a single component clear gloss varnish with extra UV filter. This is perhaps the most versatile and user friendly traditional Yacht varnish available on the market today. This Yacht varnish has excellent UV protection, gloss retention and flow out properties. Epifanes traditional gloss Yacht Varnish will remain flexible making it an ideal candidate for use on working wood. See the recommended applications list below for a selection recommended application examples for this product.
The Epifanes traditional gloss varnish is a very versatile product and is suited to almost any application where a clear, high gloss finish is required on wood giving lasting gloss and UV protection. Typical applications for this product are;
- Bright finished solid wood and plywood above the waterline
- Working, flexing or unstable wood surfaces such as clinker and carvel constructions
- Also suitable for stable wood surfaces such as cold moulded and plywood boats
- Great for masts, spars and oars
- Application is recommended with a good quality brush or foam roller
On bare wood, thin the first coat of Epifanes varnish 50% with an Epifanes brush thinner. Thin the second and third coats 25% and build with full thickness from there onwards. Sand bare wood to 180g and intermediate coats to 320g. How many coats of varnish should I apply? Below are some approximate guides on coat quantities.
- Minimum of 4-6 coats on small wooden items for short term exposure outdoors – re coating as necessary
- 12-15 coats for topsides and decks with moderate UV exposure levels – re coating every two years
- 15+ coats for topsides and decks with extended UV exposure levels – re coating annually
To speed up the process of application, there are a couple of other products that can be used in conjunction with the traditional gloss varnish throughout the build up stages. These are listed below;
- Epifanes PP is a two part alternative. This can be used as a quick, high build base to speed up the build up time. 3 coats a day can be applied. Replace the first recommended coats above with PP and apply the final 3 coats with traditional gloss Epifanes varnish.
- Epifanes Rapid Clear is a quick drying single part alternative. This can be used for quicker build up of coats without the need for sanding in between coats. 3 coats a day can be applied. Replace the first recommended coats above with Rapid Clear and apply the final 3 coats with traditional gloss varnish.
Want to Learn More?
My online course 10 Day Yacht Varnisher teaches the complete method for applying high gloss varnish finishes to a professional standard. I teach the entire process from sand paper through to final application online in over 40 video tutorial lessons. For more information take a look at my online courses. All enrolled students also benefit from an additional 10% discount on all store products.
250ml, 500ml, 1L, 5L